[mythtv-users] Can anyone tell me why Ticket 6382 has been closed?

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Mon Sep 28 16:35:50 UTC 2009

Zitat von Robert McNamara <robert.mcnamara at gmail.com>:

> Moreover, feature requests *are* being looked at, they're just being
> done at a rate that allows the still-small dev contingent to also
> manage to deal with real life and still pay the mortgage.  I know that
> the developer credo might seem a bit impenetrable, but the truth is a
> lot of thoughtful discussion goes on in e-mails and in IRC out of the
> general view of many users.  What might seem a summary closing of a
> ticket is often backed by deep discussion via one of those mediums.
> Yes, maybe it would be nice to be more verbose sometimes, we're trying
> madly to get a release out and that means addressing large numbers of
> tickets in a short period of time, and sometimes not being able to be
> as attentive to people's feelings as we might otherwise be.

I wonder why requests are closed at all if no patch is included. I was
a bit puzzled when one of my requests was closed with the comment
"Great idea!".

I perfectly understand why requests might not be fulfilled until
someone is going to contribute code. We have open tickets that are
years old in Horde, and I see the same in other OSS projects. For me
this makes perfectly sense, because this way you can track requests
that make sense and might be implemented by someone at some point. If
they are closed, they are basically lost.

I suggest that only those requests are closed that are either
fulfilled or don't make any sense. Anything else should stay open
until they are done, so that they are easier to find.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/