[mythtv-users] Is NVIDIA worth the bother?

Tim McKenzie tjm1983 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 05:01:55 UTC 2009

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 09:33:29 Mark Garland wrote:
> > How long ago were you testing those drivers (and how old were
> > they at the time)?
>
> Hi Tim,
>
> This would have been at about May-June of this year.
> I'll admit that I was still relatively new to Linux and Myth,
>  but from memory the proprietary drivers would lock the system
>  and the open source ones would either look really promising
>  and tear badly or would give a really lousy frame rate that
>  looked 'computerish'.
>
> Take a look at
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/389978?nohig
> hlight=1#3899 78

Thanks for that.  Having read through it, the only comments you
made specifically about the video drivers were that the
proprietary one caused tearing, the radeonhd one gave "pretty bad
performance", and the radeon one gave "pretty good results".

> and for when I solved it..
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/390906?nohig
> hlight=1#3909 06
>
> Hope that helps,

Yeah; the reason I'm interested is that I'm thinking of buying a
board with the 780G, so I'm trying to inform myself about it.  I'm
willing to accept the possibility that I'll need to buy a separate
graphics card to get MythTV to work adequately, but I'll try it
with the built-in graphics first.  Other reports indicate that
it's a good board in other respects, and it's not too expensive,
so it's probably worth it either way.

Tim
<><