[mythtv-users] Bad live TV on Ion

Kevin Bailey ke-myth at retriever.dyndns.org
Mon Sep 28 00:24:48 UTC 2009

I didn't want to hijack the Ion performance thread for this issue
but I'm having trouble playing live TV on my Ion. It seems to play
at half speed. Maybe you could say it hesitates every second.
Recorded stuff plays fine.

It plays that way even after the OSD disappears. SD does a little
better than HD.

I've tried playing with the other options under playback settings
(use video as time base, opengl, etc.) including changing the
de-interlacer (mainly the 1x versions).

I set-up real-time threads according to the wiki (and re-logged
in after adding myself to audio). The console says, "Using realtime
priority." The mythtvfrontend process has a priority of 20 and
nice of 0. Don't know if this is right.

Then I assumed that maybe the data was getting buffered in /tmp
and indeed there's a pipe in /tmp called mythtv-media but
I don't know why it would be any different for live TV.
Since I'm using a USB drive, I thought maybe that was slowing it down.
So I tried doubling the amount of RAM (now making it dual channel)
and even explicitly mounting /tmp on tmpfs.

My other system plays fine, although it has a different, discrete VDPAU video
card. The working system uses 180.60, while the Ion uses the new 190.39.
(190.25 was no better.) The Ion is pointed at ubuntu intrepid/avenard release testing.

Anyone else seeing this ? Anyone have an idea for a setting to tweak ?
Or know if there's another buffer for live TV ?