[mythtv-users] Problems with playback using VDPAU and mythtv 0.22

Indridi Bjornsson indridi at marbakki.net
Sun Sep 27 22:14:31 UTC 2009

Hello fellow Myth users,

Been having lot of problems with playback, both with live tv and also with
video. My hardware is as follows:

Motherboard: GA-73PVM-S2H with NVIDIA GeForce 7100 / nForce 630i Chipset
Memory: 2 Gb
Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core, E5200, 2.50GHz
TV-Cards: 2 x Nova-T
Graphic Card: NVidia GeForce 8500 GT

I orginally installed Mythbuntu 8.10 and MythtTV 0.21 using the onboard
graphic card, but added the 8500 card when I started experimenting with
VDPAU. I installed Avenard 0.21 + vdpau early on and since then I have been
experiencing lot of playback problems. Been trying different versions of
NVIDIA drivers, different XOrg config settings but with no luck.
Moved to trunk about a month ago trying different NVIDIA drivers and
different playback setup but again no luck :-(
Currently my system is unusable. I'm able to play some video but no HD
material or live-tv. Doesn't matter whether I'm using the onboard graphic
controller or the GeForce 8500 GT. I even tried replacing the GeForce 8500
with GeForce N9400GT. I did make some difference but I still got playback
problems playing HD stuff.
I have been Googling a lot following up on errors in mythfrontend log,
trying out different settings and config and as I said with no luck :-(
I decided to installing from scratch and see what happened. Had a spare disk
that I could use and installed MythBuntu 9.04 and everything worked great,
live TV, playing HD material, no complains in the mythfrontend log (using -v
playback). The playback profile was CPU+. The NVIDIA driver version
installed was 180.44. I then upgraded to trunk and things started to get all
wrong even live-tv didn't work well. Added TripleBuffer and disabled
Composite and live-tv worked but playing HD still caused the same problems,
tearing and complaining.
I then installed the latest NVIDIA driver 190.36 and it didn't make any
difference, same problem when playing HD material. Changing the playback
profile to CPU+ playback didn't change anything, same problems.

So what should I do? What is going on here? I should be able play HD stuff
on this hardware using the Internal player, right? Does VDPAU suck or is
there something wrong with my setup? Should I file this as a bug?
Thanks,
Indridi