[mythtv-users] HDPVR audio out of sync in 5.1 AC-3 mode

Greg Zornetzer gzornetzer.lists at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 19:53:28 UTC 2009

Hi Oz,

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 12:29 PM, Oz <ozdror at adelphia.net> wrote:

> When I change my Sat Box from PCM to Dolby digital and the
>
> HDPVR Audio encoding to 4 (AC-3). The audio is significantly lagging behind
> the video (possibly 2 seconds)
>
> If I will not do the changes above (i.e Keep the cable box at PCM, and
> HDPVR at AAC)
>
> I will get digital sound but only 2 speakers not 5.1 The source is 5.1
>
> Is there a way to get 5.1 sound synced

You cannot send 5.1 PCM over SPDIF (either toslink or digital coax) - only
stereo PCM is available.  5.1 can only be sent over TOSLINK compressed as
AC3 or DTS.  This is why you get only stereo when setting the box at PCM.

Potentially dumb question - If you hook up the Sat box directly to the TV
and the audio to a surround receiver, do you still observe the 2 second
offset?  If so, it's the source's fault and not the HDPVR.

-Greg