[mythtv-users] Zotac ATX Power Supply - go fanless with anb old one?

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Sun Sep 27 04:36:09 UTC 2009

> Has anyone used an low wattage PSU and taken out the fan, given these
> things only pull 25 odd watts, perhaps some PSU's will run fan
> less with the reduced load.
>
> Can anyone comment?
>
> (It seems one can use an old PC case, fit the mini-itx board in place and
> use the existing PSU, perhaps with no fan?! = quiet and
> cheap FE?)

I put in a Pico120  12v PSU and hacked a Toshiba laptop brick from 15v
down to 12v and I'm well happy - no disks mind because I netboot but I'm
drawing 20w and running a very cooooool Zotac IONITX.

There is a version of the Pico that can run from 15 to 25v so an
unmodified laptop brick would work well.

I've also used a PM200 12v supply with a Via Epia ITX board and again
really quiet and cool.

--
Robin Gilks