[mythtv-users] Dead silent backend ?

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 02:29:45 UTC 2009

On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 2:15 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>wrote:

> I've never been happy with the noise made by my backend
> I bought a silent CPU fan, a so called silent case (Antec Sonata
> III).. But with 7 hard drives, it's never been perfectly silent and
> always annoyed me to the point that I put it outside the cinema room ,
> in an adjacent room, wiring everything so it would drive the projector
> So I was hoping to maybe try again having the backend in the cinema
> room, this time in a really silent case.. and by silent I mean silent.

What components are causing the noise? You implied it might be the drives -
if so then a new case probably won't help much. You might have try to reduce
the number of drives somehow.

My solution for this sort of problem was to put a most of the drives into a
fileserver and put that into the garage.

Cheers,
Steve