[mythtv-users] G5 Mac Mini on the shelf?? What to do with it?

TJ Harris tjharris at weaselworkz.com
Sat Sep 26 01:45:08 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 11:40 AM, Torfinn Ingolfsen <tingox at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 10:35 AM, Mike Dent <mcdent at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I was hoping for  "Oh yes I use one of those and its great, I use blah
>> blah version and ..."
>> Anybody actually doing it?
>
> My G4 Mac mini is used as a frontend. It runs OSX (10.4?), I am using MythTV
> 0.20 - something fixes.
> Works nicely for my needs (analog cable, SD).

I use my G4 Mini running Ubuntu Linux as a Myth backend.  I use the
HDHomeRun dual ATSC/QAM tuner and it works very well for HD content.
  I run the backend, mysql, and mythweb on the mini.   I was a bit
concerned commercial detection would be too slow on the old G4, but it
has seemed okay.
I use a couple firewire connected 2.5" HDDs for storage.

You can't beat it for size, heat, power and noise..