[mythtv-users] Glitchy HDHR Recordings

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Fri Sep 25 20:00:59 UTC 2009

At 1:03 PM -0400 9/25/09, James Orr wrote:
>What I don't really understand is why having the master backend
>record something affects how the slave backend is doing it's
>recording if there's no jobs running at the same time (i.e. the
>slave backend comm flagging something on the master or vice versa).

It will if you have both backends and the HDHR on the same network.
In order for the slave to record, it not only has to use the network
to receive data from the HDHR, it also has to write lots of seektable
data to the database on the master.

It wouldn't hurt for you to put the HDHR on a dedicated NIC inside
the slave BE. The HDHR is designed so that you don't even need a hub
or crossover cable to do this, just connect the two with a regular
Ethernet cable.

Another possibility is something like what I was experiencing: a bad
NIC. It was logging lots of receive errors whenever the HDHR was
sending to the recording BE. My advice is to check the output of
ifconfig and/or "ethtool -S".