[mythtv-users] Glitchy HDHR Recordings

James Orr james.orr7 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 19:20:41 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 2:58 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 12:03 PM, James Orr <james.orr7 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have a master backend with 2 PVR-250s connected to it, and a slave
> backend
> > which records from an HD HomeRun.
> >
> > Now that fall is here with the new TV shows, things are getting busy and
> > I've had a couple situations where I am recording 4 programs at once.
> >
> > If I'm recording two HD programs only, everything is fine.
> >
> > If I'm recording two HD programs plus one SD program, everything is fine.
> >
> > If I'm recording two HD programs and two SD programs, the HD programs
> become
> > extremely glitchy with lots of artifacts and large green blocks and
> > stuttering, only barely watchable and occaisionally completely
> unwatchable.
> > This seems to start a few minutes after the programs started recording,
> the
> > first few minutes are fine.
> >
> > For example on Monday, it recorded Heroes, House, How I Met Your Mother
> and
> > one other hour long show I forget which.  A few minutes into both House
> and
> > Heroes the recordings became glitchy and this lasted half an hour, until
> How
> > I Met Your Mother ended.
> >
> > I suspected it might be something to do with commercial flagging so I
> went
> > in to mythtv-setup and set it so that it will only flag recordings
> recorded
> > on the same backend, AND restricted the job queue to run only between
> > midnight and 7:00 PM (avoiding prime-time hours when I'm most likely to
> be
> > recording that many things), but this didn't help at all.
> >
> > What I don't really understand is why having the master backend record
> > something affects how the slave backend is doing it's recording if
> there's
> > no jobs running at the same time (i.e. the slave backend comm flagging
> > something on the master or vice versa).
> >
> > Also, I have my storage folders setup so that both backends only record
> > local drives.
> >
> > Fortunately most of the shows recorded on the PVRs are on the cable
> networks
> > and thus have many repeats so for now I can tell it not to record any
> > showing at the same time as two HD recordings but this isn't a good long
> > term solution and doesn't help much with the WAF either :).
>
> This is purely a guess, but does your master backend also the mysql
> server? If so, is your database on the same physical drive as your
> recordings? The only reason I can think of this happening is that
> there is some lag in updating the index info in your database when
> recording 4 programs at once.
>
> Does transcoding with index rebuilding help? e.g. "mythranscode
> --buildindex ..."[1]

The master backend is also the mysql server, but the database is on a
different physical drive from any recordings.

I've never tried that mythtranscode option before, actually I've never run
mythtranscode from the command line before ... what exactly would I type for
a given file? Just mythtranscode --buildindex somefile.mpg