[mythtv-users] MythWeb from outside my lan (from internet)

Mache Creeger mache at creeger.com
Fri Sep 25 16:13:20 UTC 2009

At 08:51 AM 9/25/2009, you wrote:
>I don't like the idea of opening my internal servers to the public
>internet.  So to combat this, I have used DD-WRT to create a VPN to
>my home network.  I can keep everything behind the firewall, and VPN
>into my home network (using the OpenVPN client on my work Windoze
>box, or my Ubuntu Laptop).  Not only do I get access to my MythWeb,
>I can get access to ANYTHING on my home network.  It's really the
>safest thing to do.
>
>Jim

If you are using Gnome on the server, you use Remote Desktop and
access it from the Internet via tightVNC going through an SSH
encrypted tunnel. I use putty and puttygen SSH clients running on Windows.

Once the link is established and you can see the server desktop,
launch a browser on the server desktop and access 127.0.0.1/mythweb
to get to Mythweb.

I disable password signon on the server and use SSH with a 2048-bit
key (generated by puttygen) so its a pretty secure link. (the config
files on Fedora are /etc/ssh/sshd_config and ~./.ssh/authorized_keys)

For directions to set up the link look here:
http://ubuntuswitch.wordpress.com/2007/07/01/securely-remote-control-your-ubuntu-via-putty-from-a-windows-host-vncssh/

If you need more help, I would be happy to walk you through it.

-- Mache