[mythtv-users] NVIDIA Reinstates Overscan Correction - GeForce 8 and higher

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Fri Sep 25 06:53:30 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jean-Yves Avenard" <jyavenard at gmail.com>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Friday, September 25, 2009 6:44 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] NVIDIA Reinstates Overscan Correction - GeForce 8 and higher

2009/9/25 Johnny <jarpublic at gmail.com>:

> nvidia-settings doesn't seem to have a -O option. I tried using the -a
> option which seems to fit the bill, but I get this:
>
> nvidia-settings -a OverscanCompensation=100
>
> ERROR: Error parsing assignment 'OverscanCompensation=100'
> (Unrecognized attribute name).

You probably need to get an updated nvidia-settings

The syntax , according to the help file is something like:
--assign="SyncToVBlank=1"

Release highlights:
  a.. Added support for X.Org xserver 1.6.99.901 (also known as 1.7 RC1) and 1.6.99.902 (1.7 RC2).
  b.. Add a new OverscanCompensation NV-CONTROL attribute, available on GeForce 8 and higher. This option specifies the amount of
overscan compensation to apply to the current mode. It is measured in raster pixels, i.e. pixels as specified in the current mode's
backend timings.
  c.. Updated nvidia-installer to detect newer Debian distributions that use /usr/lib32 instead of /emul/ia32-linux as the 32-bit
library path.
Please note that the new VDPAU features are only available with VDPAU feature set C. See the supported product list in the README
for a table of which GPUs have which feature set.

Note it says feature set C - it is ambiguous whether the new overscan feature actually applies to all GeForce 8 and higher cards.
As I recall set C are new notebook graphic cards only....  Could that be why there are problems?  What card are you using Johnny?