[mythtv-users] Transcoding MPEG2 HD Recording to MPEG2 SD

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Thu Sep 24 20:28:29 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: <moodyjunk at frontiernet.net>
To: "mythtv-users" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Friday, September 25, 2009 8:14 AM
Subject: [mythtv-users] Transcoding MPEG2 HD Recording to MPEG2 SD

I want to take a standard MPEG2 HD recording (from my HD5500) and transcode it down to a version that my PVR350 will play on a
standard analog TV.  I can successfully use mythtranscode to generate MPEG4 but that overtaxes uses my low powered (800 MHz) CPU
(PVR350 only handles MPEG2).  I see the MPEG2 -> MPEG2 transcode, but that seems to only remove segments (commercials) leaving the
recording in between untouched (lossless).  I want an MPEG2 -> MPEG2 lossy transcode.

With the forced march to digital source and all the PVR350's out there I can't believe I'm the only one wanting to do this for
backup/workshop viewing.  Any ideas?

Jerry