[mythtv-users] OT: Get off my SSD?!

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 14:01:40 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 9:44 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 10:49 PM, Jim Stichnoth <stichnot at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> A small SSD doesn't really cost all that much.  I paid about $115 for
>>> a 32GB drive, which is plenty big enough for an OS and decent number
>>> of applications.
>>
>> A diskless ION frontend can be made for $140 (Zotac "C" after rebate)
>> + $15 (1 GB memory) + $25 (IR remote/receiver) + $10 (makeshift case),
>> i.e. less than $200.  Adding $115 for an SSD is *relatively* expensive
>> compared to the initial $200.  Of course, the SSD has other good uses.
>
> Right.  It all depends on what you want.  If you want a dedicated myth
> front end, $115 for an SSD is definitely overkill.  If you want a
> workstation that can double as a front end when needed (my case), then
> it may not be.

I put a $175 (eBay) 80GB x25-m as my / and /tmp drive for my master
backend. But that machine is also my main desktop so I am using it for
a lot more than myth. I wish I got a bigger drive because 80GB does
not let me put VM snapshots on the drive. I am still kicking myself
for not bidding $225 for the 120GB Apex. I would have won it at that
price 2 months ago.

John