[mythtv-users] OT: Get off my SSD?!

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Wed Sep 23 18:57:17 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 2:41 PM, John <reidjr at btconnect.com> wrote:
> First thing I would do is
> use ext2, as you don't want it journaling, and then follow the guides here.
>
> http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/linux-on-flash.html

I'd take most of that with a grain of salt.  Some of it certainly
makes sense (e.g. noatime) but things like creating new swap files to
rotate in place of old ones seems to ignore the fact that most drives
have built in wear leveling in the hardware which should do this for
you automatically.

I run ext3 on my drive.  The integrity of the filesystem is worth much
more than any additional wear from journaling (at least to me it is).

Eric