[mythtv-users] OT: Get off my SSD?!

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Wed Sep 23 18:22:57 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 1:58 PM, Jim Stichnoth <stichnot at gmail.com> wrote:
> Out of curiosity, have you considered PXE (network) booting, and
> mounting the file system entirely over NFS?  An SSD seems relatively
> expensive for essentially just holding the OS and log files.

I've done both PXE booting and running on an SSD.  The SSD is more
fault tolerant and feels much snappier (lower latency) than an NFS
root.

A small SSD doesn't really cost all that much.  I paid about $115 for
a 32GB drive, which is plenty big enough for an OS and decent number
of applications.  The machine boots faster than any other that I own
and applications seem to load faster.  Sure, NFS would have been
cheaper, but I think it's worth the price.  I'm hoping to add a
similar drive to my mythbackend to host the mysql database.

Eric