[mythtv-users] Hosed Database?

Brian Long briandlong at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 10:27:16 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 6:12 AM, Mike Perkins
<mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>wrote:

> Nick Rout wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 11:33 AM, Michael T. Dean
>>

>>> Under "Basic Usage" after all the warnings about how you probably
>>> shouldn't run it without the --link option.
>>>

>> perhaps that should be the default then? (I know its probably "user"
>> rather than "dev" written, but it does seem to be distributed with
>> most myth systems). Theres just no accounting for the eagerness of
>> people to run commands to see what they do, rather than reading the
>> source, or the wiki, or anything else.
>>
>>  I would suggest adjusting the script so that one *has* to give it an
> option, say either "--link" or "--change" (or something) to run properly,
> and without one or the other it would just give you the "--help" options.
> That would ensure we don't get posts like the OP's which turn up here about
> every 3 months or so.
>
> Personally, I'd split the script into two, one for each job.

I agree with the first paragraph.  I thought I knew what I was getting into
since I ran it with --link first, saw what I liked and ran it without
--link.  Little did I know about the unsupported characters and auto-expire
not working.  :-)  Sounds like the script should be modified to change any
ASCII character  > 127 in the title to a character <= 127, right?  Would
that fix the problem?

/Brian/