[mythtv-users] new rig ... help with specs

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 16:52:01 UTC 2009

> Current thinking is that most data centres are being run at too low a
> temperature - with proper airflow planning you should be able to run
> them at (or slightly above) normal room temperature.  This doesn't,
> however, (as I can personally attest) mean that drives will work quite
> happily at 60 degrees (though modern CPUs appear okay at 90 degrees C),
> just that there's no need to keep everything below 20.

Most drives have 60 °C as their max operating temp spec, so you are
right that you certainly want to keep it under that. But beyond that
the drives failed at roughly the same rate at 50 as they did at 30
degrees. Things quickly get worse below 30 degrees and the lowest
failure rate was at 45 degrees. So as long as your drives are
operating within the spec you really don't need to take special
measures to keep them cool. And the notion that failure rates directly
correlate with temperature is just false.