[mythtv-users] Zotac IONITX Performance

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 16:47:23 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 9:15 AM, Paul Raison <paul at raison.org.uk> wrote:
> I have noticed several postings of people using these boards as frontends. I
> am considering using one of these boards and not sure if a single core
> version will be upto what I need or if I need the dual core version, Is
> anyone using the single core version to playback HD material? I know the GPU
> is doing most of the work, but still wonder if single core is enough whilst
> playing HD material.

I have 3 of the single-core "C" boards.  They are quite capable of
displaying HD ATSC programs as well as max-bitrate HD-PVR recordings.
I am displaying at 1366x768 at 60Hz.  Someone else might be able to
comment about 1080p display, but I doubt the scaling will have any
impact on the Atom.  I love these boards for MythTV, as they allow a
completely silent frontend.

BTW, the Atom is more powerful than most people expect.  You can use
an ION frontend as a jobserver if you like.

Jim