[mythtv-users] myblaster and multiple dish STB's

Jeff junk_inbox at verizon.net
Tue Sep 22 15:44:38 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 4:19 AM, Ajay Sharma <ajayrockrock at gmail.com> wrote:

> So a while ago I was having issues controlling a new box but got it to work
> with a code (thread below, no, I normally don't top post).
>
> My new issue is that I'm trying to control two dish boxes from one
> myblaster.  The problem is that when I test it out:
>
> ./myblaster power
>
> it will shut off both receivers.
>
> So after a little playing around I noticed that one receiver will shut off
> with code "1086" and both receivers will shut off with code, "0167".
>
> I can't get that second receiver to respond with any other code then
> "0167".  And I can't get that first receiver to NOT listen to "0167".
>
> So I'm not sure what I'm doing and found a reference for "multidish" myth
> installs:
>

> http://www.mmdsi.com/mythtv/MythTV_DISH_IR_LED_TX_via_Modified_LIRC.html#Note_for_MultiDISH_users
>
> If you scroll down to the bottom of that page, it talks about how to change
> the codeset of your receiver.  Which I was able to do.  But no matter which
> codeset I try (I tried a couple 1, 2, 5, 9) the receivers still acts the
> same:
>
> receiver 1:  responds to 0167
> receiver 2:  responds to 0167 and 1086
>
> Is there anyway to modify what code a receiver listens on?  Are there any
> other codes that available to echostar boxes that aren't listed in the
> "MyBlaster Library" files?
>
> If you have multiple dish STB's, how did you set them up?  Did you just get
> lucky and end up with two boxes that listen on different codes?
>
> Thanks,
> Ajay

Ajay,

I currently run 3 Dish STB's feeding Hauppauge tuners S-video and composite
audio.  I have each of my receivers set to a different IR codeset, and
control them with a single IR 'blaster' with 3 eyes.  One receiver is set to
code 1, the 2nd to code 6, and the 3rd to code 9.

I don't shutdown my boxes at all, they're on 24x7.  I just do channel
changing on them.

See page 27 of this manual on how to change the remote control address on
the receiver.  (It's not your exact model, but all dish receivers have the
same setup menus.)   Note that it requires a working remote control to do
this... ;-)
http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads/pdf/user_guides_and_manuals/510/Chapter2.pdf

I believe codes 1-9 are "IR" codes, and higher numbers are "UHF" codes, so
I'd just stick with 1-9.  And as previously noted, I used 1, 6 and 9 in my
configuration (not sure why I skipped 3, but oh well!  ;-) )

Then configure your channel-change scripts to match for each receiver.

If you need more specific info, I'll be glad to share it with you.  ;-)

J-e-f-f-A