[mythtv-users] new rig ... help with specs

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Sep 22 15:34:04 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 22 September 2009 09:23:27 Chris Stevens wrote:
> The situation with RAID hard drives is fairly straight-forward: buy the
> enterprise versions - eg. Seagate 750 ES. These have MTB of around
> 3,000,000 hours which is over 300 years and are only a bit more
> expensive.
>
> But there is just one primary rule for any HD: KEEP THEM COOL. Drives go
> very quickly if you let them overheat. You can actually buy any old
> rubbish so long as you follow this rule.

I would think so as well, but:

The Google paper on hard drive reliability seemed to contradict this seemingly
common sense idea.

They were unable to show much of a correlation between temperature and failure
rates.

I (and many others) found this odd.

I still try and keep my drives as cool as possible, electronics in general
likes cooler temperatures, but I think about it more now, having read the
Google paper.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org