[mythtv-users] new rig ... help with specs

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Sep 22 15:15:22 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 22 September 2009 09:04:02 Travis Tabbal wrote:
 I'm seriously
> considering paying the price penalty for "RAID Class/Enterprise" drives for
> the longer warranties, even though it approaches 50%. Sort of defeats the
> "I" in "RAID", but what is one to do?

The "I" was originally "inexpensive", but has changed to "independent" over
the years. Probably precisely because of what you point out.

I wonder is there is any difference between the consumer and the enterprise
drives besides the warranty.

In the old days, the only difference between a "2-year" and a "five-year" CRT
was the warranty. Essentially you were just purchasing the extended warranty
with the extra cost, something you can do with just about any consumer item
lately. Some stores really push the extended warranty (I was once offerered
one on a case printer paper). They are generally pure profit, with some
exceptions like projector lamps.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org