[mythtv-users] new rig ... help with specs

Richard Morton richard.e.morton at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 14:31:51 UTC 2009

Its interesting hearing so many views on hd's.

I used to work for an industrial computer manufacturer and we swore by
quantum drives (now maxtor) and wouldn't touch seagate ( my own experiwence
was seagate was a pita as well). But so much time has passed and a dodgy hd
from maxtor meant I became promiscuous with hd purchases. I bought 5 x 500gb
drives all from different manufacturers.

My threory was this; I have often seen several drives die within a very
short period of each other when all in the same raid and bought with the
same machine. Either it is usage/environment that is causing it,
manufacturing batch issues or a combination.

I bought 5 drives using mdadm put them in raid.

And the results?

They ran hot and I couldn't keep mdadm running properly, after losing the
raid twice (with all data) I went out and bought a seagate barracuda 1.5tb
drive - all the 500gb drives are still running though in various machines.

Lol

Please excuse brevity (was this email too short?) and mistakes, this email
was composed on a mobile phone.

Thanks and regards,
Richard Morton

On Sep 22, 2009 3:10 PM, "Ian Clark" <mrrooster at gmail.com> wrote:

2009/9/19 Michelle Dupuis <support at ocg.ca>

> > From experience, avoid ATI cards.  As well, check out VDPAU which is >
Nvidia...moves all deint...

Be careful with older nVidia stuff, they had major packaging issues a while
back, newer stuff should be ok though.

ATI onboard graphics are absolutly fantastic.... unless you want to use
myth, although there seem to be more favourable reports with
later/opensource ATI drivers. It's still really nVidia for myth though.

> > > On hard disks, I have great experience with Seagate in servers - but
the > past year I've read...
For HDs I would recommend Hitachi, reliable, well priced and fairly decent
RMA procedure too. (A friend had a few of the deathstars in a RAID a few
years ago, they failed 1 by 1. :) )

Whilst home usage, and the small sample set of my friends can't really
provide any definitive statistics, I have (currently) got 11 HDs in regular
use, 9 of them are HGST (well, ok a couple of the older ones are actually
IBM they're that old. ;) ), 6 of these are in my home server which is on
24/7.

Seagate get good reviews but I've personally had mixed experiences. (My myth
box has a 300G seagate which is fine, but I had a 1.2G one years ago that
was funny, ditto the 8G one I bought a bit later on. Lots of people have had
issues with the latest 1.5T ones.)

I'd avoid Western Digital and any of the 'cheap' brands (Maxtor and Samsung
spring to mind.)

I've had little experience with Fujitsu, only ever owning 2 of them. One
failed, one is still running in my main PC with OS X on it. (It's a laptop
drive too.)

Ian