[mythtv-users] volume control not working in mythtv 0.22 SVN trunk

Clark Lee clarkchen900 at yahoo.com.cn
Mon Sep 21 14:58:59 UTC 2009

Dear all,

Thanks for all your suggestions and information.

I managed to use an external script to control the volume up, down and mute. Very simple like:
 amixer -c 0 set Master 3dB- &
 amixer -c 0 set Master 3dB+ &
and inset them into .lircrc file with irexerc.

In turn, I have to turn off the volume control (as well as Mute) of mplayer in .lircrc as below, so that there won't be double effect.
#begin
#    prog = mplayer
#    button = VolUp
#    config = volume +1
#end
#
#begin
#    prog = mplayer
#    button = VolDown
#    config = volume -1
#end

I also tried softvol control as indicated below, but that didn't work for me.
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/216149#216149
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/320657#320657

I am a bit puzzle. Here is some information about the sound system:

It is clear that mplayer can control its sound. But I am not sure whether I have a 'Master' sound control.
speaker-test works if not running simultaneous.

======
clark at clark-desktop:~$ aplay -L
front:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC883 Analog
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC883 Analog
surround41:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC883 Analog
surround50:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC883 Analog
surround51:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC883 Analog
surround71:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC883 Analog
iec958:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC883 Digital
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
null

======
clark at clark-desktop:~$ amixer scontrols
Simple mixer control 'Master',0
Simple mixer control 'Headphone',0
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
Simple mixer control 'Front',0
Simple mixer control 'Front Mic',0
Simple mixer control 'Front Mic Boost',0
Simple mixer control 'Surround',0
Simple mixer control 'Center',0
Simple mixer control 'LFE',0
Simple mixer control 'Side',0
Simple mixer control 'Line',0
Simple mixer control 'Mic',0
Simple mixer control 'Mic Boost',0
Simple mixer control 'IEC958',0
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Default PCM',0
Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
Simple mixer control 'Capture',1
Simple mixer control 'Input Source',0
Simple mixer control 'Input Source',1