[mythtv-users] Having Trouble Finding The Right TV Capture Card

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 02:59:28 UTC 2009

> I know, a lot of you are going to tell me to RTFM (W for wiki?), but I
> did and didn't see one that fit all of these requirements.  I found a
> few ATSC cards with hardware-based encoders, but they have a PCI-E
> interface.  I found a few cards that meet all of my hardware
> requirements, but I have never heard of the manufacturer.  A few years
> ago, it seemed that the only cards that "just worked" were made by
> Haupphauge.  Is that still true?
>
> Is anyone else out there using a similar hardware configuration?  If
> so, then what card works for you?

When you go to ATSC you won't be encoding anything. The ATSC cards are
basically just tuning into the signal and dumping the digital file to
the disc. Any ATSC card that is supported in mythtv and fits in your
slot will be fine. There are lots. Or as others have suggested you can
look at a network attached device like the HDHomerun. It is a little
more expensive and has two tuners, so it may be over kill if you just
want one. Also much of the ATSC channels will be 1080i, so your
Sempron and your old video card may not be able to keep up with that,
especially with some of the nicer deinterlacers.