[mythtv-users] file size 'B'

Jarom McDonald jlmcdonald at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 02:07:48 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 7:57 PM, Fraser, Douglas <dfraser at king5.com> wrote:

> >>That sounds like you need to rescan your channels.  You may have "Use
> >>quick tuning" enabled for "Live TV only", which would allow tuning to
> >>succeed for LiveTV but not for recordings.
> >>
> >>Mike
>
> Mike:
>
> Thank-you for the tip about "Use Quick Tuning", it was set by default to
> "LiveTV Only".  After I changed that field it started grabbing video again.
>  This all worked fine for 3 weeks,  I shall have to dig around and try and
> figure what could have changed.  Thanks again.

In my experience, there are two reasons why you'd be experiencing these
symptoms and seeing them fixed with the "Use Quick Tuning" setting:

1) There is a signal problem. This past summer my cable company was playing
with signal strength for some of their clear QAM channels but not others,
and hence I'd have patterns of 0-B recordings on particular channels. I
reported this to them and and they brought me a professional grade
amplifier.

2) The channels have actually been moved by the cable company. This can be
related to the previous problem, as I've noticed that when cable companies
move channels around, often they still send the signal out for a while on
the older frequencies but at a much lower fidelity, or they use certain data
to help certain kinds of tuners find the new frequencies. "Quick tuning"
gets a lock directly through the device rather than involving MythTV in the
process (I think ... smarter people than I could explain it better) and so
can often pick up channels when they've moved. However, to future-proof your
setup you really should re-scan your channels through mythtv-setup as Mike
suggested, so that if they have moved then MythTV will have the most current
frequency info. "Quick Tuning" is a useful feature but can mask some
problems like this that will have to be addressed.

Best,
Jarom