[mythtv-users] Free Linux alternative to PlayOn?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Sep 18 20:43:06 UTC 2009

On Friday 18 September 2009 10:49:10 David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Fri, September 18, 2009 6:37 am, Brian Wood wrote:
> > It's hard to blame the Playon folks for concentrating on Windows, there
> > are
> > far fewer Linux users, and a lot of them do not want to pay for anything,
> > or
> > do not want to run non-free (as in libre) software.
>
> I'm sure that's part of it, but I suspect a bigger reason is using Windows
> allows them to use existing libraries and codecs to handle all the DRM
> stuff that Netflix and other services use.  There isn't a way to decode
> those streams on Linux.

That is certainly part of it, but I'm sure they (correctly) figure there are
fewer potential Linux customers then Windows ones.

They say they are working on Mac and Linux versions, but I suspect they will
work on Mac first, though, being Unix, that should put them a long way along
towards Linux support.

I have no idea how they are doing business-wise, obviously they have to make
enough money to stay in business.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org