[mythtv-users] Not quite OT, but close. A letter to congress.

Francesco Peeters francesco at fampeeters.com
Fri Sep 18 17:19:33 UTC 2009

greg wrote:
> Michael Cook wrote:
>> Eric Ladner <eric.ladner at gmail.com> writes:
>>

>>> The FCC passed regulations stating that cable boxes should have a
>>> functional FireWire port to allow consumers to record cable TV
>>> programs.  That is not a viable policy at this point because
>>> there's no statement in the regulation that says the transmitted
>>> programs be unencrypted, only that the FireWire port be active.
>>> If the port is active and they are transmitting encrypted signals,
>>> it renders the port useless.
>>>

>> FWIW, I would expect a lawyer could argue successfully that if the
>> programs are encrypted, then the port is not functional.  If you
>> can't view the content coming from the port, how could that be
>> considered functional?
>>

> If you can change a channel using fire wire then it's functional..I
> can change channels here ,but all streams are encrypted ..
> I don't want to rain on your parade agree with Brian,with no pending
> bill your letter will more than likely end up in the trash...
> What would work better though, is a face to face meeting with your
> Congress person..Mine (as useless as he is) has a few days a month
> where you can meet with him... The next time i meet with mine i will
> bring up your points..
> I have in the past, complained to Time Warner using almost the same
> words and logic..They always give the same canned answer,it's not us
> it's the content providers....
Appeal to his own experience...
How it will influence *his* possibilities to record the programs he
likes for viewing when he has the time to do so...
As a congressman he'll be in a position where he won't be able to watch
his favorite TV programs as well.
How would he like not only not being able to view the programs he likes,
but also having to pay more money to not be able to see them?

Just my € 0.02
--FP