[mythtv-users] DLNA support in mythtv

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Fri Sep 18 16:53:22 UTC 2009

Michelle Dupuis wrote:
> I have a Sony XBR tv with DLNA support.  I would like to use it as a
> front end to MythTV, but can't figure out the details.
>
> It looks to me that Mythtv supports uPnP (partial), but not DLNA.  Is
> this right?  Any plans to change this?
DLNA offers a subset of the capability of UPnP AV, and as such any UPnP
server *should* work with a DLNA client.  The only thing it really takes
to get UPnP/DLNA working is to make sure your network is configured
properly.  All devices must be on the same subnet, with the same
broadcast address.  There's not much else you can do, since MythTV has
no settings for it, except for enabled or disabled.  Aside from that,
MythTV does not support on-the-fly transcoding, so you are limited to
watching content that your playback device can decode directly.