[mythtv-users] Simple Remote

bit maelstrom dsblakewatson at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 23:28:24 UTC 2009

> I don't think Myth has any method for selecting a "random" recording. I can
> think of a couple of approaches, rotating the names of a few selected files
> (or, better, links to files), or rotating the actual name that's selected.
>
> Well, I presume you could do something like a music shuffle. There is a
playlist feature (that I haven't worked out how to use yet.)

> I'd guess that as long as a different file comes up each time, with a
> rotation
> of at least 12 or so files, would accomplish what you want. You might even
> base the selection on time of day or day of month, perrhaps not random but
> as
> long as a different show comes up each time it would probably be
> acceptable.

Yeah, it doesn't really have to be from everything.

> If she could truly understand the explanation she would be smarter than
> most
> of us.

Very possibly. But her facilities lay more with languages. (She can
understand about two dozen.)

> Actually I can see such a feature being useful to many folks. Often the TV
> is
> used to "fill time", and it might be nice to have a button to just pop up a
> more or less random show, from a selection of not-too-bad ones. This could
> be
> modified to prefer shows that will expire soon.

Going back to music you could do a shuffled set of music videos, for the
MTV-circa-1982 feel.

Research time...

===Blake===