[mythtv-users] Performance issues with new 9400GT

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Thu Sep 17 05:02:45 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jean-Yves Avenard" <jyavenard at gmail.com>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 17, 2009 3:30 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Performance issues with new 9400GT

Hi

2009/9/17 Johnny <jarpublic at gmail.com>:
> Generally overscan is caused by the TV not the video card. The
> settings that let you adjust for overscan don't seem to work or are

Well, that may well be true.

But when I use an ATI card with my TV , I get overscan in Linux, not in Windows.

When I use my macbook (nvidia) with MacOS X on my TV I get overscan, I
don't running linux
When I use a mac mini (GMA950) with macos I get overscan and I don't with linux

This suggests to me that:

>Windows ATI and Windows NVIDIA
>Macbook and mac mini running Linux  (Seems a little odd but there you are?)
have some level of smarts to detect the TV and / or that overscan is in effect - and adjusts....

>Linux ATI and Linux NVIDIA
>MacOS X and macos
do not have any level of smarts to detect / correct for overscan

Overscan correction is also in mythtv, I've yet to try it and expect it will probably work well, however it (presumably) does not
fix the overscanned desktop....which may or may not be an issue.....