[mythtv-users] Seattle Times: Comcast to encrypt basic cable QAM channels

Greg Zornetzer gzornetzer.lists at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 04:49:40 UTC 2009

So, at the risk of hijacking the thread slightly....  Although I'll send an
email telling them that I'm going to consider switching if they lock out my
QAM, other provider options are not so great (I'm in an apartment).
It seems like they're required by law to still provide the OTA channels, so
at least there's that.  For the rest of expanded basic, can one get a cable
box with the firewire port?  Some of the reports online for the Seattle area
Comcast suggest that the firewire port "does the right thing" (at least, as
of a year ago).  If they start encrypting the QAM, will the output of the
firewire port also be encrypted?  That would make me very angry.  Can anyone
report on the behavior of firewire ouput on Seattle comcast boxes currently?
I'd really like to avoid setting up an IR blaster and hooking the cable box
up to the composite input on my tuner card.
Other ideas?
-Greg