[mythtv-users] svn socket errors

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Sep 17 02:52:16 UTC 2009

On 09/16/2009 10:30 PM, Phil Linttell wrote:
> From: Daniel Kristjansson
>>>
>> This version has all the recent MythSocket fixes for this
>> problem applied. If you could create logs of the frontend
>> and backend machines with "-v socket,network,extra" and
>> get a backtrace from the backend once it stops responding
>> and create a ticket with this info, I'll look into it ASAP.
>>
>> To get the backtrace, run mythbackend normally and then
>> once this happens log in as root and attach to the process
>>   ps aux | grep mythbackend
>>   gdb mythbackend PID_OF_BACKEND
>>     thread apply all bt
>>
>>   Note: this assumes you have debugging symbols loaded, an
>>   expert on the Linux distro you are using can tell you how
>>   to install + load those, or you can just compile MythTV
>>   from source.
> I've logged as requested under:
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/7078
>
> Hopefully I did the backtrace correctly.   Once I run into the socket
> errors, then subsequent communications to the backend fail.

Phil,

The backtrace is missing symbols, meaning we're missing a lot of useful
information.  It would be great if you could try again, this time after
installing MythTV debug symbols (or after recompiling with
--compile-type=debug or --compile-type=profile ).

There are some instructions for getting useful backtraces (and debug
symbols) at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Debugging (and, please feel free
to fix the Ubuntu portion as you figure out the details, if you're using
Ubuntu packages--or for that matter, adding to/cleaning up/improving the
info for whatever distribution you are using).

Thanks,
Mike