[mythtv-users] How do I get coverart/etc in watch recordings?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Sep 17 00:33:13 UTC 2009

On 09/16/2009 08:06 PM, f-myth-users wrote:
>     > Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 07:53:50 +1000
>     > From: Jean-Yves Avenard
>
>     > Hi
>
>     > 2009/9/17 Michael T. Dean
>     > > Unwritable $HOME/.mythtv (and/or $HOME/.mythtv/themecache ) (probably not
>     > > since it appears after restart) or (more likely) network-mounted but not
>     > > using actimeo=0 ?
>
>     > As you wrote, the caching works after I restart mythfrontend...
>
>     > the NFS is mounted as:
>     > 192.168.10.11:/data     /data        nfs     rw,bg,hard,intr 0 0
>
>     > will try with actimeo=0
>     > and report
>
> Wow, actimeo=0 (or noac) can be a hideous performance-killer if you've
> got anything doing large writes to the directory:  1Gb/s link acting
> like it was 20Mb/s, etc.  (I see from later traffic in this thread
> that it didn't help, but just in case someone reading this is tempted
> to try it for other reasons...)
>
> [E.g., at one point I was running a test and demonstrated that using
> noac caused a 50x performance drop if the -client- sets it for the
> server's mount and then tried to push a file to the server.  Pulls
> from the server were unaffected, as was setting it on the server,
> so it was only 1 of the 4 possible directions (push/pull, client/
> server).  I'm guessing it was because most of the traffic was NFS
> constantly updating the client for every change in length of the
> file on the server, but I never bothered to instrument the net to
> see exactly why---actimeo=1 was plenty for my application, whereas
> the default (probably 60) led to all kinds of bad behavior.]

Just in case someone reading this is tempted to try not using actimeo=0,
the /only/ way that LiveTV with backend LiveTV directories NFS mounted
to the frontend works in MythTV is with actimeo=0.  And, it's basically
a requirement for Myth anywhere one system is writing things and another
tries/needs to see them immediately.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Optimizing_Performance#Network_File_Systems

Mike