[mythtv-users] Performance issues with new 9400GT

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Wed Sep 16 19:42:37 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Johnny" <jarpublic at gmail.com>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 17, 2009 6:12 AM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Performance issues with new 9400GT

> No, the problem is with the integrated video card you had a much much
> faster bus and without VDPAU, you are not making use of the new video
> card's processing power.

Just to clarify, without VDPAU you are decompressing the video with
the CPU and then sending it over the PCI bus. With VDPAU you would be
sending compressed video to the card and it would be decoded there, so
you would have much less data going over the bus. Having said that, I
have done this with PVR-150 recordings fine. But your OTA HD
recordings are going to be going over the PCI bus as uncompressed HD
video. Then they will get scaled down by the video card. So that will
be a problem. The problem isn't the 9400GT it is that your card is
PCI. It would be better to get a PCIe or AGP card if you have the
slot.

Johnny

What are you suggesting can be done better with AGP?

I have some of these cards and they have proved to be much more tricky to setup than PCIe, so the PCI bus may be the problem, but it
may well be something else about the bus than simple capacity.  NVIDIA are on record saying their driver priorities are lower for
PCI bus versions and I can understand they need to stabilise their linux vdpau driver first, however regularly reminding NVIDIA they
have linux PCI VDPAU customers may smooth the way.