[mythtv-users] Lost my OS hard drive (also ran)

bhaskins at chartermi.net bhaskins at chartermi.net
Tue Sep 15 18:26:34 UTC 2009

---- David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:
> Ian Clark wrote:
> > However, that was a trick to spin up a drive that wouldn't, clicking
> > sounds more permanent. :(
>
> Not to be a pessimist, but my experience is that clicking often means
> the servo track is damaged.  If the servo track is gone, even
> professional data recovery places are mostly helpless to get the data.

I'm not trying to highjack this hread, but I would like to share something
that just happened to me.

One of my external hard drives recently failed and the reason  was that it
was not spinning up. After many off on cycles it did finally spin up.
I was more that just a little ticked because the unit was  quite new and
had very few hours on it
.
I had spent many hours moving files off of the drive when it finally dawned
on me that I was not getting any data errors.
Further examination led to finding that the line input capacitor had lost
about 2/3 of it's rated value which had a drastic effect on the startup voltages.
Oscilloscope traces of the +5 and +12 looked like something from a bad dream..
So, just one more thing to check before tossing the hard drive.