[mythtv-users] Lost my OS hard drive

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Tue Sep 15 17:27:36 UTC 2009

John Drescher wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 10:32 AM, Johnny <jarpublic at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> On a related note, an external SATA->USB adapter is very useful for
>>> drive recovery in these kinds of situations. It allows you to quickly
>>> try various methods to get it back to life without having to mess around
>>> with the internals of your PC.
>>>
>> I would agree, but with one caveat. I would go for eSATA. USB is just
>> too slow and you are going to have a limited time to get data off. You
>> don't want to waste that precious time you have because your I/O is
>> limited by USB.
>>

> Or you could just get a long enough sata cable so that you can sit the
> drive on your desk or something. Regular SATA is perfectly hot
> swappable with linux. I have used hot swap sata for at minimum 5 years
> on dozens of machines.
>
> John

This board is an Asus nForce4 MB. I was plugging and unplugging the sata
cable while trying several of the ideas in this thread. I have never
tried this on other boards, but on this one the internal sata ports are
hot swap capable on Linux. I also have a USB to IDE/SATA adapter. The
power supply from it was what I used to power the drive, but the speed
of USB makes it a less than ideal solution for any large transfers.

Thanks,
James