[mythtv-users] Will we ever have Clear QAM WAS: Seattle Times: Comcast to encrypt basic cable QAM channels

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Sep 15 01:24:48 UTC 2009

Rick wrote:
> I don't know how much it costs in electricity to run all their Set Top
> Boxes, but I would love to subtract that expense from what I pay them.
>
> I also wonder if they can legally advertise their service without
> including the cost of the STB in the rates.  Technically, once the STB
> is required, one can't make use of the signal without it.  Therefore, it
> shouldn't be a hidden cost after you've signed up.

Considering they're doing something a lot more misleading already --
advertising low rates that are actually introductory, and nearly double
after six months -- hiding the $5/month charge for the cable box is
pretty small change.  In a lot of packages they've incorporated the box
charge into the rate, too; I get one box and two DTAs "free," which just
means they've added the cost in before I see the bill. ;)