[mythtv-users] UPnP Client?

belcampo belcampo at zonnet.nl
Mon Sep 14 21:18:06 UTC 2009

Mikael Carlsson wrote:

>> Are you talking about subtitles or captions? There is a
>> difference. Even if you decide you mean captions, there are
>> the older NTSC closed captions and the newer ATSC
>> replacement. Subtitles are often in a seperate file, and can
>> be ripped off of a DVD or the like into a .srt file, which I
>> know Myth can use but I'm not sure about the PS3. Mplayer
>> knows how to use a .srt file, but I know that won't help you.
>>
>> There have been some posts here about this matter, I don't
>> recall what the bottom line was, however.
>
> Sorry about that, I am not familiar with the difference, nor the name
> caption. There are no .srt files in my mythtv storage. I am only using DVB-C
> recordings. As I understand it the subtitles/captions are a part of the DVB
> stream. My subtitles/captions works just fine on a mythtv frontend.
The way I do it for DVB-S streams is using projectx to extract the
teletext subtitle pages to a srt file. The PopCornHour plays the
subtitles when name of the srt is the same as the file-name, only
different extensions, example: thisrecording.mpg thisrecording.srt
Or muxing the srt in an mkv container also works fine.