[mythtv-users] UPnP Client?

Mark Boyum mark at boyum.us
Mon Sep 14 17:23:27 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 8:29 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> On Monday 14 September 2009 05:20:30 Darrin Smith wrote:
>> I've been playing with the idea of using universal plug and play, but
>> I can't seem to find a decent linux client anywhere.  Part of what I
>> find confusing is that mythfrontend emits messages indicating that
>> there may be an embedded UPnP client in the program, but the
>> functionality doesn't seem to be exposed to the end user (in
>> 0.21-fixes).
>>
>> I tried djmount, but was very unimpressed with it's performance and
>> impact on the machine and the network.  I have a dual core 3GHz
>> machine and accessing a UPnP resource on the network just barely
>> crawls.  I'm running a gigabit full duplex network, so bandwidth
>> shouldn't be an issue.  For the server side of it, I'm using PlayOn.
>>
>> So - how are you doing it?  In the archives I see messages saying how
>> great this works, but I can't seem to determine how any of you managed
>> to get it set up.  The most recent information online that I could
>> find is over a year old and there doesn't appear to have been any
>> development in djmount in a long time.  There must be some new
>> information or new developments that have occurred since then.
>>
>> Any info would be much appreciated.  Thanks.
>
> You say you can't find a Linux UPnP client. XBMC works pretty well, but I tend
> to use the many available hardware clients.

I've just recently been playing around with PlayOn and MythTV as well.
 Djmount does a decent job of presenting the upnp network as a
filesystem, but it is a bit sluggish.  I also haven't had any success
getting MythVideo to browse my Netflix Queue via djmount.  So last
night I installed XBMC and was able to browse and play all media from
my PlayOn server.  So for now I am going to add a Myth menu item for
XBMC to play upnp content.

This doesn't seem like the most elegant solution, but should work
until Myth becomes a full upnp client.
-Mark