[mythtv-users] Suggestions for file/directory structure for music for use with MythMusic etc?

Jim Morton Jim at Morton.hrcoxmail.com
Mon Sep 14 15:23:41 UTC 2009

nospam312 wrote:
> I am looking for comments on the best folder / filename structure for
> music when stored on your hard drive?
>
> Can anyone with a huge music collection comment on what they think is
> the best directory structure / filename so everything works well?
>
> Is the structure that important as there are applications that allow
> you to update the structure depending on the tagging ID1/2
> information?
>
> At some point I would like to add album art etc so a structure that
> would allow some kind of automatic grabbing would be useful too?
>
> Should I just use something like:
>
> ARTIST - ALBUMNAME \ TRACKNUMBER.MP3

I use Artist/Album Name/Track# - Title.flac/mp3  (I believe this is Myth
default) and I have roughly 500 CDs. The tag data is what determines how
it will be presented in Mythmusic.

I use Myth to rip (or from a Windows box, EAC and Flac frontend) then
cleanup the tag info and collect album art using Mp3tag. It is not
automatic but Mp3tag allows you to update multiple tags on multiple
files at the same time. It goes fairly quickly as long as you have
something else to do while waiting.

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/