[mythtv-users] Suggestions for file/directory structure for music for use with MythMusic etc?

James Oltman cnlibmyth at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 15:19:40 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 10:01 AM, nospam312 <nospam312 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am looking for comments on the best folder / filename structure for
> music when stored on your hard drive?
>
> Can anyone with a huge music collection comment on what they think is
> the best directory structure / filename so everything works well?
>
> DELETIA

> Should I just use something like:
>
> ARTIST - ALBUMNAME \ TRACKNUMBER.MP3
>
> TIA

I asked this question several months ago, and got many different answers.
My solution is as follows.

Artist
       YEAR - Album Name
                    Track Number - Artist Name - Track Name.extension

For soundtracks, I'd do:

Soundtracks (this is the folder name at the root of my music directory)
        YEAR - Movie
                     Track # - Artist Name - Track Name.extension

For albums with various artists:

Various (this is the folder name at the root of my music directory)
        YEAR - Album Name
                     Track # - Artist Name - Track Name.extension

This can get complicated, but I've found that it's great for artists that
release the same song on more than one album.  I've also downloaded the high
quality (large sized) album art and embedded it in all the songs _and_ put a
copy (called cover.jpg) in the album's folder.  I like my method so that you
can see the progression of an artists work by year.  You also have the
tracks organized by track number on the album.  I'm sure some would say it's
overkill, but I have the space, and I like the high quality art when I'm
playing a song in MythMusic.

Jim