[mythtv-users] HDMI input from set top box

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Sep 14 00:24:36 UTC 2009

On Sunday 13 September 2009 17:54:42 Russ Van Winkle wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 10:46 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> > I'm not aware of any cable or satellite service that provides 1080p
> > material, except with some of their downloadable products, for which you
> > would not need a capture solution.
>
> I had originally thought that DirecTV and Dish had both advertised
> their PPV products to be available in 1080p, but on investigation it
> seems this claim only applies to their 'on-demand' movies.
>
> These are, I suppose, 'downloadable products' in the strictest sense,
> but I think you're still required to view them via the satellite
> receiver, thus still needing a capture device for Myth.

Good point, I suppose they wouldn't send you a usable file, but more likely
it's something the satellite receiver would have to decrypt.

I was using "download" to distinguish them from "streaming" products, and I'm
not aware of any such product that is 1080p.

I hadn't thought about it too much, since I have no intention of paying their
exorbitant rates for lousy movies. I still have certificates for 3 freebies
that DISH sent me, I looked through their catalog and didn't see anything I
would acccept even for free.

But it would require some capture hardware to get that material into Myth,
since the file itself would not be useful.

The only 1080p "files" I'm aware of are BR rips, which are of dubious
legality. There may be some legal ones available (is "Elephant's Dream"
available as 1080p?).

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org