[mythtv-users] PVR 150 Fails to Access Motorola Cable Decoder Box Composite Signal

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Sep 13 00:11:56 UTC 2009

On 09/12/2009 05:55 PM, Mache Creeger wrote:
> Thanks for the quick response. I tried what suggested in the post. In
> mythtv-setup I used delete all for both capture cards and video
> sources and rebuilt things up one at time from scratch but still got
> the same problem.
>
> Here is the pertinent /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log
> 2009-09-12 14:36:45.637 Channel(/dev/video0) Error:
> GetCurrentChannelNum(550): Failed to find Channel
> It is failing with GetCurrentChannelNum even though I specified
> /usr/local/bin/channel as external channel control. This is a known
> bug. The workaround is blank out the box "Preset tuner to channel" in
> mythtv-setup. I did that and everything works fine now.

That's not a workaround.  The "Preset tuner to channel" setting can
/only/ be used for those people who are using an external tuner /and/
having it output using the worst-possible connection type, RF modulated
output over a "coax" cable.  For someone using S-video or Composite, you
can /not/ specify a "Preset tuner to channel" value.

That said, some have said that the "preset tuner" doesn't work, anymore,
even for those with a proper configuration (have been saying it for
about 3 years, now), but I can't verify that as I don't have any way to
test.  And, no one has fixed it since getting a proper S-video/Composite
connection is /much/ easier and cheaper than spending the time trying to
fix it.

Glad you have it working.  Enjoy.

Mike