[mythtv-users] Blinking lines in LiveTV/Recorded Video

Clark Lee clarkchen900 at yahoo.com.cn
Sat Sep 12 10:07:47 UTC 2009

I am using an external STB for composite video and audio input for TV signal. The signal is PAL-DK of China
The LiveTV/Record profile are using default settings as RTjpeg, quality 170, etc.

The video has some annoying problem, as the all the horizantal lines, especiall white lines with black/dark background, seems blinking with a few Hz frequency.

This problem doesn't exist if I use TvTime to view the signal from the same STB box and capture card. I would say, TvTime's video quality is far better than LiveTV in MythTV. I know that Mythtv is always encoding the incoming signal first and than play it back. However, do I must bear the blinking lines?

Is this a problem of the RTjpeg encoding or my setup issue?

I have tried MPEG4 with default soft encoding - turned to be an even worse solution. Is this true?

Thanks very much,

Clark