[mythtv-users] Issues with HDMI after TV Turned off

Norm mlists at dressler.ca
Sat Sep 12 01:58:19 UTC 2009

James Crow wrote:
> Norm wrote:
>>>>

>>> This isn't going to help much, but it might jog something - so
>>> apologies in advance.. I think this may be normal. I seem to remember
>>> having a similar issue when I got a new plasma. I think it's something
>>> to do with X displaying over the HDMI interface, but the rest of it
>>> (like the boot-up) was displaying over the VGA interface. Again,
>>> apologies if that makes no sense, but someone else may be able to
>>> clarify it.
>>>

>> I agree that I can see the system boot with it connected to VGA or
>> component.  HDMI will almost always not come up with another video
>> type connected.
>>
>> Norm
> You did not mention what video card/chipset you are using, but nvidia
> has worked well for me. I know that the nvidia cards look for analog
> devices first, digital next. If neither is found then the video just
> gets sent out the analog (VGA) port. Even with my TV off, but still
> connected to power the video card detects that it is connected and
> will use the digital output.
>
> On both of my HDMI connected TV sets I can see the entire boot process
> over HDMI. Both sets are connected to GeForce 9500 cards. One with
> native HDMI and one with DVI->HDMI. One thing you may want to do is
> see what video modes the TV reports. Try running X with the log set to
> verbose 6. Then check the log for what resolutions the TV set is
> reporting.
>
> My TV sets will display 480i over HDMI which is about what the bios
> and initial boot screens run at. Once X starts
> the nvidia driver takes over and gives you much finer control. I have
> not seen any problem with turning the TV off. Do you remove power or
> just use the on/off built into the TV?
>
> You could try leaving the TV turned off, but connected to power. Boot
> into X with verbose 6 for the X log. Check the log and see if your
> video card can detect the presence of the TV. My cards do even with
> the TV off. If your card does not that may be the cause of your problem.
>
> Cheers,
> James
I did mention in my first post that its an NVIDIA 8400gs.  It works well
in vdpau.  I did run x with verbose 6 as you suggested and I see the
whole range of potential video modes from 1080i down.  They are all
visable and valid.

Perhaps there is something in my bios that I should look at to ensure it
selects the correct video card or port on boot?  Not sure - that may be
why  Idon't see the video on boot.

As for the screen not coming back, I'm not sure what could be
happening.  X seems to see the tv even when its off so perhaps its the
TV or something.  Has anyone heard about a possible bios update for the
TV?  It's a Daytek LM37 and has a supposed serial port for bios updates
but I've yet to find one.

Norm