[mythtv-users] nuvexort not working with ffmpeg

Greg Hermsen g.hermy15 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 20:47:06 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 8:45 PM, Dale Pontius <DEPontius at edgehp.net> wrote:

> Greg Hermsen wrote:
> > I have been able to run nuvexport with transcode, but I have not been
> > able to nuvexport with ffmpeg.  I would like to use ffmpeg because it
> > give more encoding options and it seems to be the way most people run
> > it.  I included my responses to most prompts below and the error message
> > I receive.
> >
> > I have tried many combinations of settings.  No matter what I do, I
> > consistently get the error, "unrecognized option '-title'".  Does
> > anybody have any suggestions to get nuvexport to work with ffmpeg?
> >
> >    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
> >    Release: 9.04
> >    Codename: jaunty
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Greg
> > ******** Nuvexport session below **********
> > Where would you like to export the files to? [.] /home/mythtv/iPod
> > Enable Myth cutlist? [Yes] y
> > Enable noise reduction (slower, but better results)? [No] n
> > Enable deinterlacing? [Yes] n
> > Crop broadcast overscan border (0-5%) ? [1.5] 0
> > Audio bitrate? [64]
> > Enable iPod compatibility? [Yes] y
> > Using the mpeg4 codec (h.264 mp4/ipod encoding requires the svn version
> > of ffmpeg.)
> > Variable bitrate video? [Yes]
> > Multi-pass (slower, but better quality)? [Yes] n
> > VBR quality/quantisation (1-31)? 10
> > Video bitrate? [384]
> > Default resolution based on requested dimensions.
> > Width? [320]
> > Height? [240]
> > Now encoding:  iCarly:  iDon't Want to Fight
> > Encode started:  Wed Sep  9 20:02:47 2009
> > Waiting for mythtranscode to set up the fifos.
> > Starting ffmpeg.
> > processed:  0 of -11363 frames at 0 fps (~%, eta: unknown)
> > ffmpeg had critical errors:
> > ffmpeg: unrecognized option '-title'
> > Cleaning up temp files.
> > Cleaning up child processes.
>
> Same results here, but I just use "transcode".  I burned a bunch of
> exercise disks for my wife a year or so back, and found that transcode
> did a much better job of handling motion than ffmpeg.  The latter had
> too many motion artifacts.  I know ffmpeg is supposed to be faster, but
> I haven't had the time to dig up the right version.  If I had more time,
> I'd try "mencoder", too.
>
> Dale

Thanks Dale.  The reason I wanted to use ffmpeg was because it looks like it
should allow encoding for iPods.  I want to be able to put my kid's shows on
their iPods and I was hoping to do the encoding in one step.  If I can't get
ffmpeg working, I'll just continue on with my current approach...encoding
with transcode then copy to a Windows pc and reencode there.

It appears to me that ffmpeg changed syntax quite some time ago nuvexport
was not changed to work with ffmpeg.

Greg