[mythtv-users] Cost of running devices 24/7

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 17:07:17 UTC 2009

> I also like the idea of sharing a portion of my space, to have off-site
> backup for free...but I'm not sure how I feel about the idea of my data on
> someones personal hard drive albeit encrypted. My friend uses a somewhat
> similar idea, but your backup data only goes to your "friends" hard drives,
> in which case, you can only backup the amount they give you.  Again it is
> encrypted though, so I'm still in the same boat in terms of sharing my data
> with my parents.  But I can't remember the name of that application that
> performs that service.

Yes security is a concern, but we are talking about stuff you are
putting out on the web anyway. Your data is not sent wholesale to
another users computer with Wuala. It is encrypted and stored on their
servers. They then store small blocks of your encrypted data on many
other computers as a secondary backup of their traditional servers. So
between the encryption and the fragmentation of the files a user can't
get anything useful from the data stored on their local shared cache
because it isn't all there in one place. They may be able to some how
hack into the Wuala servers, but that seems as likely or less likely
than getting into your personal server or any other web based system.

Your friend is probably using Crashplan. I also use that and find it
to be excellent. I can effortlessly backup data to other computers on
my network or to a friends computers, regardless of the OS.  But it is
purely a backup solution and doesn't allow sharing of the data.