[mythtv-users] How do you use the commercial skipping function?

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Fri Sep 11 13:11:33 UTC 2009

Steve V wrote:
> It seems to me that there are various ways to skip commercials once they are flagged.
>
> Just wondering how others are using the function.
>
> So far I have:
>
> Play the recording, go into edit mode (E on the keyboard - or use the menu) then Z to load the commercials breaks, etc to return to play mode.
>     This seems a bit cumbersome and also from a remote I have to setup a button to map to Z to load the breaks as I couldn't find any other way to laod the         breaks.
>     But it has the advantage of once done, whenever the recording is played the commercials are skipped.
>
> Play the recording, go into menu, choose - notify for commercial skipping and when the notification comes on screen push the button to skip to the end of the commercial break.
>     Is there a way to make this a default for all recordings so I don't have to choose it every time I play a recording?
>
> Is anyone using other methods regularly, successfully and with high WAF?

I'm in the US and commercial detection works very well for me. I have
autoskip turned on. I always wondered if I missed part of the show when
it comes back from commercial until I changed the setting to skip blank
frames at end of commercial. With that setting off I see a second or so
of the last commercial and know that I did not miss any of the show. The
only problem I have is at the end of the show it will sometimes skip the
last 30 seconds before the credits roll. I think I need to change my
maximum skip time to maybe 4 minutes. Myth has me so spoiled that when I
watch live TV and a commercial starts I lose all interest and move on to
something else. With the settings I use the WAF is very high. If I took
away her Myth things would go badly for me. :)

Cheers,
James