[mythtv-users] Cost of running devices 24/7

Mark Wormgoor mark at wormgoor.com
Fri Sep 11 11:41:00 UTC 2009

Hi,

> My solution was to combine all my devices onto one server with power
> saving functionality.  If you have a myth box that powers down, then you
> can't serve files.  NAS's only come with one drive typically.  My server
> has photos, music, myth, asterisk, file serving, home automation, etc.
> Pretty hard to power down and still meet that functionality, with
> on-demand usage.  I have like 4Tb online.  Just a data point.

True. I have a similar setup (only 1.75TB though). Unfortunately, I
chose Xen with CentOS, which doesn't do powersaving too well. My 2.33
GHz C2D E6550 won't scale down further than 2.00GHz as it can only do
ACPI frequency changes.

As soon as CentOS 5.4 with KVM is out, I'm switching to that instead -
should save some more power!

Kind regards,

Mark